Volunteer Code of Conduct
- Volunteers will abide by the standards of conduct set forth by the YMCA of Greater Des Moines consistent with the mission of the YMCA. Volunteers must adhere to the YMCA Four Core Values of Caring, Honesty, Respect and Responsibility
- Volunteers must portray a positive role model by maintaining a positive attitude of respect, patience, encouragement, integrity, courtesy, and maturity.
- At no time during a YMCA program should a volunteer be alone with a child where they can not be observed by others.
- Volunteers should never leave a child involved with their program unsupervised. Children must be supervised at all times by YMCA staff or approved volunteers.
- Volunteers should appear clean, neat, and appropriately dressed.
- Volunteers are not to transport children involved in YMCA programs or program participants in their own vehicles.
- Volunteers must treat program participants of all races, religions, cultures, and backgrounds with the same respect and consideration.
- Volunteer may not smoke or use tobacco products on YMCA property or during YMCA events and activities.
- Using, possessing, or being under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs during YMCA activities is strictly prohibited
- Profanity, inappropriate jokes/gestures, intimate and displays of affection towards others, sharing intimate details of one’s personal life, and any kind of harassment in the presence of children, parent, staff, and other volunteers are prohibited.
- Volunteers will use positive techniques of guidance, including positive reinforcement and encouragement, rather than comparison and criticism. Volunteers should abstain from humiliating or frightening, types of disciplinary actions.
- Volunteers will refrain from any action that could be considered child abuse, including; but not limited to:
Physical Abuse: spanking, slapping, striking, intimidating
Verbal Abuse: humiliating, degrading, threatening
Sexual Abuse: inappropriate gesturing, touching, language
Mental Abuse: neglecting, shaming, cruelty, put downs