At the Y, strengthening community is our cause. Our staff members are people who drive this cause – it is because of our drive, our passion, our belief in others, and our belief in the strength of our mission that we are able to make a difference – every day.
As an Assistant Team Coach, you will assist in providing kids with an opportunity to work on their strokes, build endurance, and participate in meets in a positive and fun atmosphere. The kids will learn, grow and thrive through your instruction, coaching and through social interaction. They will build self-esteem as they learn starts and turns, how to improve their strokes and to work as a team. EVERY position positively impacts others at the Y - JOIN US, WE MAKE A DIFFERENCE!
To positively impact others, Y Staff Team Members exemplify CAUSE-DRIVEN LEADERSHIP competencies.
Demonstrates in word and action the Y's CORE VALUES of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility and a commitment to the Y's mission, in all matters at all times
Delivers the benefits of good health, strong connections, greater self-confidence, and a sense of security to all who seek it
Tells the Y story to help others understand the impact of the Y; develops relationships with members to support fundraising; supports fundraising efforts
Values all people for their unique talents and takes an active role in promoting practices that support diversity, inclusion and cultural competence
Builds authentic relationships in the service of enhancing individual and team performance to support the Y's work
Listens for understanding and meaning, seeks to understand the other person's point of view and expresses self effectively and in a manner that reflects a true understanding of the needs of the audience
1. Assist in the planning and direction of team practices.
2. Attend team practices, team meets, and regular coaches meetings.
3. Assist in development of team events and lesson plans.
4. Assist in coordinating team entry information.
5. Know emergency procedures and be able to demonstrate them.
6. Perform additional duties as assigned by supervisor or designated staff
7. Demonstrate and support the objectives of the Association as embodied in
the mission statement and values.
1. Ability to read, write, and perform simple mathematical functions
2. Online New Employee Orientation (available in the YMCA
3. Online New Employee Safety Orientation (available in the YMCA Training
4. Y Leaders Orientation (available in the YMCA Training Program)
5. American Red Cross CPR-PR/AED/First Aid Certifications or equivalent
certifications approved by the YMCA (available in the YMCA
6. American Red Cross Blood Borne Pathogens Training or
equivalent training approved by the YMCA (available in the YMCA
7. Completion of high school or equivalent
8. American Red Cross Safety Training for Swim Coaches (Lifeguard
certification will be accepted with proof of successful completion of the
online Safety Training for Swim Coaches certification) (available in the
YMCA Training Program)
1. Good communication skills
2. Good organizational skills
3. Ability to maintain control of area even when distracted by noise or
4. Ability to work with diverse group of people
5. Ability to work with minimal supervision
6. Attend trainings and/or courses as required by the YMCA
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee must have the ability to perform moderate physical activity and adapt to changing working conditions. Specific vision abilities required by this job include vision, auditory, and verbal ability to communicate with people and monitor property and activity.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud. Employee must have the ability to adapt to frequently changing work conditions and to work a flexible schedule.