There's nothing like summer at the Y! We're here to make kids feel welcome, try new things and make new friends. We help kids grow and show them all they can accomplish when they believe in themselves.
Help positively impact children in our community and SEIZE THE OPPORTUNITY TO IMPACT YOUR OWN LIFE - experience, knowledge, satisfaction and joy are just some of the ways you'll grown, learn and thrive this summer.
This position is responsible for planning, leading and delivering the daily literacy curriculum for the program. This position ensures a fun and motivational learning environment and creates learning pathways to address student needs.
Apply online and begin your life changing Y journey TODAY!
To positively impact others, Y Staff Team Members exemplify CAUSE-DRIVEN LEADERSHIP competencies.
VALUES - Demonstrates in word and action the Y’s core values of caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility and a commitment to the Y’s mission, in all matters at all times. Shows a genuine concern for the needs, feelings, and well-being of others, even under stress. Acts with integrity and credibility in all situations.
COMMUNITY - Delivers the benefits of good health, strong connections, greater self-confidence, and a sense of security to all who seek it.
PHILANTHROPY - Values and supports the many facets of philanthropy as an essential component in achieving the Y’s mission.
INCLUSION - Values all people for their unique talents, and takes an active role in promoting practices that support diversity, inclusion, and cultural competence. Displays ease and comfort with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Seeks out and includes others in order to gather new and different points of view.
RELATIONSHIPS - Builds authentic relationships in the service of enhancing individual and team performance to support the Y’s work. Proactively assists others in meeting goals by sharing information and resources.
COMMUNICATION - Listens and expresses self effectively and in a manner that reflects a true understanding of the needs of the audience. Listens actively by asking open-ended questions.
INNOVATION - Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better Camper experience. Improvises quickly and appropriately, when faced with unexpected circumstances, to better meet the needs of others. Asks lots of questions and explores differences of opinion with grace and curiosity.
EMOTIONAL MATURITY - Demonstrates the ability to accurately assess personal feelings, strengths, and limitations and how they impact relationships with others. Recognizes the needs of others and responds appropriately to what they are feeling, based on their choice of words, tone of voice, expressions, and other non-verbal behavior. Remains calm and objective when under pressure or when challenged by others.
1. Plan, prepare, implement and deliver instructional activities that contribute to a climate where students are actively engaged in meaningful learning experiences.
2. Identify, select and modify instructional resources to meet the needs of students with varying backgrounds, learning styles, and special needs.
3. Positively interact with and maintain harmonious working relationships with students and parents.
4. Provide constructive and detailed feedback to help students achieve academic success.
5. Maintain effective and efficient record keeping procedures.
6. Provide a positive environment in which students are encouraged to be actively engaged in the learning process.
7. Collaborate with peers to enhance the instructional environment.
8. Demonstrate gains in student performance.
9. Meet professional obligations through efficient work habits such as: meeting deadlines, honoring schedules,
coordinating resources and meetings in an effective and timely manner, and demonstrates respect for others.
10. Complete accident/incident reports and submits to supervisor or designated staff person.
11. Perform additional duties as assigned by supervisor or designated staff person.
12. Demonstrate and support the objectives of the Association as embodied in the mission statement and values.
1. Ability to read, write, and perform simple mathematical functions
2. Current Iowa Teaching License
3. Two years successful elementary and/or middle school classroom teaching experience
4. Demonstrated record of exceptional teaching skills
5. American Red Cross CPR-PR/AED/First Aid Certifications or equivalent certifications
approved by the YMCA
6. American Red Cross Blood Borne Pathogens Training or equivalent training approved by the YMCA
7. Online New Employee Orientation
8. Online New Employee Safety Orientation
9. Y Leaders Orientation Session
10. Mandatory Child Abuse Reporter certification
1. Ability to communicate with a Y-voice, demonstrating determination, genuine concern, a welcoming attitude, hopefulness and a nurturing spirit
2. Ability to demonstrate a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs
3. Ability to build rapport, creating relationships and motivating students, in a distance learning
4. Ability to work effectively with people of different background, abilities, opinions and perceptions
5. Ability to listen first, seeking to understand the other person’s point of view and remain calm in challenging situations
6. Ability to think outside the box and thrive on change and challenges
7. Ability to be unconditionally committed to the success of students
8. Ability to work with minimal supervision, taking initiative to assist in others
9. Ability to make sound judgments and transfer learning from one situation to another
10. Ability to work comfortably in a student-centered setting and utilize effective techniques for this
11. Ability to work various hours to meet the needs of the student
12. Ability to demonstrate professional conduct at all times
13. Ability to effectively multi-task and manage time
14. Ability to serve as a healthy lifestyle role model for students and staff
15. Exceptional communications skills, including oral, written and presentation skills
16. Attend trainings and/or courses to maintain certification and/or as required by the YMCA