At the Y, strengthening community is our cause. Our staff members are people who drive this cause – it is because of our drive, our passion, our belief in others, and our belief in the strength of our mission that we are able to make a difference – every day.
As a Wellness Center Staff, you will have the opportunity to provide quality customer service, guidance, and leadership to all members and participants in the Wellness Center. You will be intentional about promoting the principles of healthy living while building and maintaining positive relationships. EVERY position positively impacts others at the Y - JOIN US, WE MAKE A DIFFERENCE!
To positively impact others, Y Staff Team Members exemplify CAUSE-DRIVEN LEADERSHIP competencies.
Demonstrates in word and action the Y's CORE VALUES of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility and a commitment to the Y's mission, in all matters at all times
Delivers the benefits of good health, strong connections, greater self-confidence, and a sense of security to all who seek it
Tells the Y story to help others understand the impact of the Y; develops relationships with members to support fundraising; supports fundraising efforts
Values all people for their unique talents and takes an active role in promoting practices that support diversity, inclusion and cultural competence
Builds authentic relationships in the service of enhancing individual and team performance to support the Y's work
Listens for understanding and meaning, seeks to understand the other person's point of view and expresses self effectively and in a manner that reflects a true understanding of the needs of the audience
1. Monitor the wellness center areas to ensure a safe, hazard-free
environment, addressing safety issues as directed.
2. Continuously monitor wellness center areas to assist members with
questions and issues.
3. Continuously facilitate member involvement by actively seeking
opportunities to build relationships.
4. Actively promote member engagement by encouraging involvement in
related Y programs and small communities.
5. Assume a leadership role for members, demonstrating professionalism
and equipment expertise.
6. Encourage and support members as they strive to attain their personal
fitness and wellness goals.
7. Ensure cleanliness and tidiness of the wellness center areas by cleaning
equipment, desks, and all surface areas regularly.
8. Assist, as required, with training and orientation of new Y staff.
9. Know all emergency procedures and be able to demonstrate them.
10. Complete accident/incident reports and submits to supervisor or
designated staff person.
11. Perform additional duties as assigned by supervisor or designated staff
12. Demonstrate and support the objectives of the Association as embodied
in the mission statement and values.
1. Ability to read, write, and perform simple mathematical functions
2. Online New Employee Orientation (available in the YMCA
3. Online New Employee Safety Orientation (available in the YMCA Training
4. Y Leaders Orientation (available in the YMCA Training Program)
5. American Red Cross CPR-PR/AED/First Aid Certifications or equivalent
certifications approved by the YMCA (available in the YMCA
6. American Red Cross Blood Borne Pathogens Training or
equivalent training approved by the YMCA (available in the YMCA
7. YMCA Healthy Lifestyle Principles
8. Must be at least 16 years of age
9. On year previous customer service experience
10. Previous fitness and/or wellness experience preferred
1. Ability to communicate with a Y-voice, demonstrating determination,
genuine concern, a welcoming attitude, hopefulness and a nurturing
2. Ability to demonstrate a desire to serve others and fulfill community
3. Ability to build rapport, creating relationships and motivating members
4. Ability to work effectively with people of different background, abilities,
opinions and perceptions
5. Ability to listen first, seeking to understand the other person’s point of
view and remain calm in challenging situations
6. Ability to embrace new approaches and discover ideas to create a better
7. Ability to work with minimal supervision, taking initiative to assist in
8. Ability to make sound judgments and transfer learning from one situation
9. Ability to maintain confidentiality on member information
10. Ability to demonstrate professional conduct at all times
11. Ability to serve as a healthy lifestyle role model for members and staff
12. Ability to demonstrate general knowledge of YMCA programs and services
13. Ability to distinguish and articulate the difference between Personal
Training and Wellness Coaching
14. Attend internal equipment training orientation session
15. Attend trainings and/or courses to maintain certification and/or as
required by the YMCA
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand and walk; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; demonstrate and perform various exercise movements on exercise and strength training equipment; talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 45 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.