GENERAL FUNCTION: Operating within the policies, procedures, and practices of the YMCA of Greater Des Moines, this position is responsible for assisting potential tenants with required eligibility, application, and leases processes, providing general customer and tenant support, managing tenant concerns and issues , monitoring the facility, and performing basic clerical and office functions and duties. Service Center Specialists are responsible for exemplifying the Y values and building relationships to foster a sense of community with our tenants.
At the Y, strengthening community is our cause. Our staff members are people who drive this cause – it is because of our drive, our passion, our belief in others, and our belief in the strength of our mission that we are able to make a difference – every day.
EVERY position positively impacts others at the Y - JOIN US, WE MAKE A DIFFERENCE!
To positively impact others, Y Staff Team Members exemplify CAUSE-DRIVEN LEADERSHIP competencies.
Demonstrates in word and action the Y's CORE VALUES of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility and a commitment to the Y's mission, in all matters at all times
Delivers the benefits of good health, strong connections, greater self-confidence, and a sense of security to all who seek it
Tells the Y story to help others understand the impact of the Y; develops relationships with members to support fundraising; supports fundraising efforts
Values all people for their unique talents and takes an active role in promoting practices that support diversity, inclusion and cultural competence
Builds authentic relationships in the service of enhancing individual and team performance to support the Y's work
Listens for understanding and meaning, seeks to understand the other person's point of view and expresses self effectively and in a manner that reflects a true understanding of the needs of the audience
1. Assist potential tenants with required IFA and Section 42 tax credit application, certification, recertification and leasing processes.
2. Maintain tenant relations and ensure tenants understand their responsibilities for the community. Assist with tenant issues, concerns and complaints per lease provisions.
3. Ensure procedures are followed for all processes managed through the Service Center (examples include work-order communications, complaints/concerns, rent issues/situations, tenant issues/situations, etc).
4. Provide general customer service support, assisting tenants and guests with questions, concerns and general inquiries.
5. Serve as a contact for tenants to assist with issues and processes.
6. Perform basic clerical and office functions and duties.
7. Manage general phone calls and message services.
8. Assist tenants with mail processes, replacement key services, and fitness passes.
9. Monitor facility, including common areas, front doors, and security cameras as required.
10. Serve as a building supervisor, monitoring the facility, tenants, and visitors.
11. Be knowledgeable in emergency services and respond to emergency situations as required.
12. Attend department and Branch staff meetings as required.
13. Attend trainings and education sessions as required to maintain current knowledge of housing and tax credit rule, regulations and practices.
14. Perform additional duties as assigned by supervisor or designated staff person.
15. Demonstrate and support the objectives of the Association as embodied in the mission statement and values.
1. Ability to read, write, and perform simple mathematical functions
2. American Red Cross CPR-PR/AED/First Aid Certifications or equivalent certifications
approved by the YMCA
3. American Red Cross Blood Borne Pathogens Training or equivalent training approved by the YMCA
4. Y Orientation Session
5. Y Emergency Procedures Training
6. Must be at least 21 years of age
7. High School Diploma or equivalent
8. Minimum of three years customer service experience
9. Minimum of two years experience working in a customer service position for a housing type facility
1. Ability to communicate with a Y-voice, demonstrating determination, genuine concern, a welcoming attitude,
hopefulness and a nurturing spirit.
2. Ability to demonstrate a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs.
3. Ability to build rapport, creating relationships and fostering a sense of community..
4. Ability to work effectively with people of different background, abilities, opinions and perceptions.
5. Ability to listen first, seeking to understand the other person’s point of view and remain calm in challenging situations.
6. Ability to work with minimal supervision, taking initiative to assist others.
7. Ability to make sound judgments and transfer learning from one situation to another.
8. Ability to maintain confidentiality on tenant and potential tenant information.
9. Ability to demonstrate professional conduct at all times.
10. Ability to serve as a healthy lifestyles role model for members and staff.
11. Attend trainings and/or courses to maintain certification and subject knowledge as required by the YMCA.
12. Employees of the YMCA Supportive Housing Campus are not eligible to become tenants at the YMCA
Supportive Housing Campus.
13. Tenants of the YMCA Supportive Housing Campus are not eligible for employment with the YMCA Supportive
Housing Campus branch during their time of tenancy.
ADA: The above statements cover what are generally believed to be principal and essential functions of this job. Specific circumstances may allow or require some people assigned to the job to perform a somewhat different combination of duties.