The YMCA truly is a place FOR ALL. We believe that everyone deserves the opportunity to make a positive change in their life and that cost should never be barrier that keeps someone from that change. Whether it be learning to swim, taking the first steps in a more active lifestyle, or finding support in overcoming chronic disease, the Y never turns anyone away due to an inability to pay.
At the Y, strengthening community is our cause. Our staff members are people who drive this cause – it is because of our drive, our passion, our belief in others, and our belief in the strength of our mission that we are able to make a difference – every day.
This position is a great career opportunity in an organization that can help you make a difference in people's lives! If this is your calling - apply now and begin your Y journey today!
This position is primarily tasked with assisting the Aquatics Department by providing high quality service delivery at the Indianola YMCA. This position is expected to demonstrate leadership by serving members and guests through lifeguarding, instructing swim lessons, working as the Aquatics Event Staff, and serving as an on-site supervisor during peak usage or program delivery times. They will assist the Program Director and Coordinator in modeling to and orientating new staff. The ideal candidate must have great flexibility in their work availability, ranging from early morning to evening and weekends. This position is full time and requires 40 hours per week. This position offers competitive pay, a positive work environment, and free Y Family Membership.
This position is a Seasonal Position that will end in August 2018.
This posting closes on Monday, April 30th, 2018. If you are interested in the position, please apply online by this date.
1. Supervise activities when serving as site leader.
2. Supervise members/guests participating at site and enforce rules, procedures,
3. Know emergency procedures and be able to demonstrate them.
4. Keep pool and pool deck free of obstructions and safety hazards.
5. Maintain constant surveillance of the water and pool deck areas while serving as
6. Handle equipment as assigned to ensure safety.
7. Record chemical readings while serving as primary lifeguard or site supervisor.
8. Maintain emergency equipment.
9. Teach aquatic skills when assigned as swim instructor.
10. Follow prepared lesson plans when assigned as swim instructor
11. Maintain attendance and skill accomplishment records for each participant when
assigned as swim instructor.
12. Respond to all emergencies.
13. Exercise sound judgment in situations not covered by policies, procedures, and
14. Report specific problems or needs to supervisor or designated staff person.
15. Perform additional duties as assigned by supervisor or designated staff person.
16. Demonstrate and support the objectives of the Association as embodied in the
mission statement and values.
17. Knowledge, operation, and maintenance of all equipment and technology related
to hosting competitive swim events
18. Set-up and clean-up of equipment for all competitive swim events
19. Serve as on-site host for all competitive swim events – primary Y point of
contact - able to greet team representatives, provide training for team provided
operators, and troubleshoot issues that might come up during the event
20. Almost all hours will be spent in-ratio in direct-service role. This is a seasonal
position that will end in August 2018.
1. Visual, auditory, and verbal ability to communicate effectively with people and
to monitor property and activity
2. Ability to handle disgruntled individuals without personalizing comments
3. Ability to perform light physical activity
4. Ability to adapt to variety of working conditions
1. Good communication skills
2. Good organizational skills
3. Ability to maintain control of area even when distracted by noise or activity
4. Ability to work with diverse group of people
5. Ability to work with minimal supervision
6. Attend trainings and/or courses as required by the YMCA
7. Ability to adjust teaching methods to various skill levels