At the Y, strengthening community is our cause. Our staff members are people who drive this cause – it is because of our drive, our passion, our belief in others, and our belief in the strength of our mission that we are able to make a difference – every day.
As a Travel Team Coach, you will provide members with an opportunity to work on their strokes, build endurance, and participate in meets in a positive and fun atmosphere. The members will learn, grow and thrive through your instruction, coaching and through social interaction. EVERY position positively impacts others at the Y - JOIN US, WE MAKE A DIFFERENCE!
To positively impact others, Y Staff Team Members exemplify CAUSE-DRIVEN LEADERSHIP competencies.
Demonstrates in word and action the Y's CORE VALUES of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility and a commitment to the Y's mission, in all matters at all times
Delivers the benefits of good health, strong connections, greater self-confidence, and a sense of security to all who seek it
Tells the Y story to help others understand the impact of the Y; develops relationships with members to support fundraising; supports fundraising efforts
Values all people for their unique talents and takes an active role in promoting practices that support diversity, inclusion and cultural competence
Builds authentic relationships in the service of enhancing individual and team performance to support the Y's work
Listens for understanding and meaning, seeks to understand the other person's point of view and expresses self effectively and in a manner that reflects a true understanding of the needs of the audience
1. Hire, supervise, train and direct assistant coaches. (Masters and Site Coaches only)
2. In conjunction with supervisor, prepare season training plan/themes/focus and develop team events.
3. Plan, write, schedule, and direct all team practices and meets. (Masters and Site Coaches only)
4. Maintain proper records, team lists, and reports as needed.
5. Address member concerns by appointments and/or phone conversations.
6. Relate to individual members on a professional basis at all times.
7. Monitor and maintain equipment.
8. Ensure safety of participants by enforcing policies and disciplinary rules.
9. Report specific problems or needs to supervisor or designated staff person. 1
0. Create an environment that welcomes all types of swimmers from varying levels and backgrounds
11. Communicate with the team and staff information regarding team activities, meets, goals and daily training plans/themes
12. Execute the practice plan as intended by the Head Coach. (Travel Team Coaches only).
13. Perform additional duties as assigned by supervisor or designated staff person.
14. Demonstrate and support the objectives of the Association as embodied in the mission statement and values.
1. Ability to work with diverse group of people
2. Good communication skills
3. Ability to build rapport, create relationship and to motivate members
4. Ability to demonstrate proper techniques
5. Ability to maintain control even when distracted by noise and activity
6. Ability work with minimal supervision
7. Attend training and/or courses as required by the YMCA
8. Attend training and/or courses as required to maintain Registered USA Swimming and USMS Coaching Designation (Masters Coaches only)
9. Ability to demonstrate a desire to serve others, fulfill community needs and take the initiative to assist in developing others
10. Ability to make sound judgments and transfer learning from one situation to another
1. Ability to read, write, and perform simple mathematical functions
2. American Red Cross CPR-PR/AED/First Aid Certifications or equivalent certifications approved by the YMCA
3. American Red Cross Blood Borne Pathogens Training or equivalent training approved by the YMCA
4. Y Orientation Session
5. Y Emergency Procedures Training
6. Completion of high school or equivalent
7. American Red Cross Safety Training for Swim Coaches (Lifeguard certification will be accepted with proof of successful completion of the online Safety Training for Swim Coaches certification)
8. YMCA Principles of Competitive Swimming and Diving
9. Registered USA Swimming Coach
10. Two years competitive coaching experience
11. Working knowledge of competitive teams
12. United States Masters Swimming Coach with DSMY Certification (for Masters Coaches only)
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee must have the ability to perform moderate physical activity and adapt to changing working conditions. Specific vision abilities required by this job include vision, auditory, and verbal ability to communicate with people and monitor property and activity.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud. Employee must have the ability to adapt to frequently changing work conditions and to work a flexible schedule.