GENERAL FUNCTION: This position delivers consistently excellent service to all members, guests and program participants, focusing on the development of member-centered relationships and serving to exceed expectations. Staff Members in this position respond to member and guest needs, promote the YMCA, maintain the cleanliness and organization of the Welcome Center and Lobby areas, and ensure the mission, purpose, image and core values of the YMCA are conveyed in everything they do.
At the Y, strengthening community is our cause. Our staff members are people who drive this cause – it is because of our drive, our passion, our belief in others, and our belief in the strength of our mission that we are able to make a difference – every day.
EVERY position positively impacts others at the Y - JOIN US, WE MAKE A DIFFERENCE!
To positively impact others, Y Staff Team Members exemplify CAUSE-DRIVEN LEADERSHIP competencies.
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Ys values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change,and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and
how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
1. Provides excellent service to members, guests, and program participants in the Y and on the phone, contributing to member retention.
2. Conduct interviews and/or tours responsive to the needs of prospective members; sells memberships.
3. Builds relationships with members; helps members connect with one another and the YMCA.
4. Handles and resolves membership concerns and informs supervisor of unusual situations or unresolved issues.
5. Applies all YMCA policies dealing with member services.
6. Maintains facility appearance and ensure safety measures are in place.
7. May hand out locker keys and towels; monitors the locker rooms and facility as required.
8. Perform additional duties as assigned by supervisor or designated staff person.
9. Demonstrate and support the objectives of the Association as embodied in the mission statement and values.
1. Ability to read, write, and perform simple mathematical functions
2. American Red Cross CPR-PR/AED/First Aid Certifications or equivalent certifications
approved by the YMCA (available upon hire into Training Program)
3. American Red Cross Blood Borne Pathogens Training or equivalent training approved by the YMCA(available upon hire into Training Program)
4. Y Leaders Orientation Session (provided upon hire into Training Program)
5. Y Emergency Procedures Training (provided upon hire into Training Program)
6. Y Welcome Center Training Modules (provided upon hire into Training Program)
7. Basic computer and cash handling skills
8. Previous customer service experience preferred
1. Ability to communicate with a Y-voice, demonstrating determination, genuine concern, a welcoming
attitude, hopefulness and a nurturing spirit
2. Ability to work with minimal supervision, taking initiative to assist in developing others
3. Ability to maintain confidentiality on member information
4. Ability to demonstrate professional conduct and image at all times
5. Ability to articulate how the YMCA transforms lives and what this position’s impact is
6. Ability to serve as a healthy lifestyles role model for members and staff
7. Attend trainings and/or courses to maintain certification and/or as required by the YMCA