At the Y, strengthening community is our cause. Our staff members are people who drive this cause – it is because of our drive, our passion, our belief in others, and our belief in the strength of our mission that we are able to make a difference – every day.
As a Before & After School Staff Team Member, you will engage the children in active and purposeful play in a way that will encourage them to exercise their bodies and minds to discover who they are and what they can achieve. You will help the children learn, grow, and develop social skills by providing a safe, nurturing and fun environment. EVERY position positively impacts others at the Y - JOIN US, WE MAKE A DIFFERENCE!
To positively impact others, Y Staff Team Members exemplify CAUSE-DRIVEN LEADERSHIP competencies.
Demonstrates in word and action the Y's CORE VALUES of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility and a commitment to the Y's mission, in all matters at all times
Delivers the benefits of good health, strong connections, greater self-confidence, and a sense of security to all who seek it
Tells the Y story to help others understand the impact of the Y; develops relationships with members to support fundraising; supports fundraising efforts
Values all people for their unique talents and takes an active role in promoting practices that support diversity, inclusion and cultural competence
Builds authentic relationships in the service of enhancing individual and team performance to support the Y's work
Listens for understanding and meaning, seeks to understand the other person's point of view and expresses self effectively and in a manner that reflects a true understanding of the needs of the audience
1. Assist in preparation and delivery of positive activities.
2. Assist in the development of an activity schedule.
3. Perform routine checks on equipment to ensure safety.
4. Demonstrate and enforce the policies and procedures for the child care
5. Know all emergency procedures and be able to demonstrate them.
6. Educate participants on emergency procedures and policies.
7. Encourage participation in all activities.
8. Perform additional duties as assigned by supervisor or designated staff
9. Demonstrate and support the objectives of the Association as embodied
in the mission statement and values.
1. Ability to read, write, and perform simple mathematical functions
2. Online New Employee Orientation (available in the YMCA
3. Online New Employee Safety Orientation (available in the YMCA Training
4. Y Leaders Orientation (available in the YMCA Training Program)
5. American Red Cross CPR-PR/AED/First Aid Certifications or equivalent
certifications approved by the YMCA (available in the YMCA
6. American Red Cross Blood Borne Pathogens Training or
equivalent training approved by the YMCA (available in the YMCA
7. Mandatory Child Abuse Reporter certification (available in the
YMCA Training Program)
8. Approval by State of Iowa Licensing requirements including pre-
9. Must be at least 16 years of age (If under age 18, must be working with
an adult age 18+)
1. Visual, auditory, and verbal ability to communicate effectively with
people and monitor property and activity
2. Ability to adapt to changing work conditions
3. Ability to perform moderate physical activity
1. Strong communication skills
2. Strong organizational skills
3. Ability to simultaneously manage variety of tasks
4. Ability to work with minimal supervision
5. Ability to work with diverse group of people
6. Attend required trainings and/or courses to maintain requirements for
7. Attend trainings and/or courses as required by the YMCA